SMART announces NEW school field trip program
Petaluma, CA—The Board of Directors of the Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit District has approved a new Field Trip Program for local students and educators. For groups who participate in this program, students will ride free, and educators and chaperones will pay regular adult fare.
“This new program is a great way for educators to plan an economical field trip to fun and educational destinations in Sonoma and Marin counties, while also introducing students to train travel,” said David Rabbitt, Chair of the SMART Board of Directors.
- Students ride free, and adults pay regular fares
- Field trips must travel on non-peak trains. Trips 9, 4, and 24 cannot generally accommodate field trips; for travel on these trips, please contact SMART. See schedule for details
- Trips must be pre-arranged with SMART staff to ensure capacity and establish a point of contact for trip planning and support
- SMART staff can offer support to the teachers with trip planning
- Teachers will receive field trip passes to distribute to the students prior to the trip as proof of participation onboard the train
- SMART can also arrange a “Train Only” trip option with a Track-SMART talk by Community Outreach staff at the Larkspur or Sonoma County Airport Station